What is the green revolution?
Green Revolution is a significant increase in agricultural productivity which is resulted from the introduction of grain varieties that are high-yielding, the application of insecticides and pesticides, and well-developed management techniques.
Doctor Borlaug is the father of the Green Revolution. He revolutionized the agricultural industry. He introduced the high-yielding varieties of wheat in 1950. Doctor Borlaug had a concept that for the production of Agricultural goods a man should not depend upon nature. Man efforts can increase agricultural goods. The green revolution has increased the quality and quantity of outputs of agriculture. Green Revolution: A Review | International Journal of Advances in Scientific Research (ssjournals.com) https://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNAAZ044.pdf
Factors responsible for the Green Revolution
High-yielding varieties of seeds brought about a revolution in agriculture. The yield of agriculture per hectare has very much increased with the introduction of new seed varieties.
Reproduction outputs are results of the research of agriculture that has the main objective of producing higher-yielding plant varieties.
The rapidly increasing agricultural production is due to the application of chemical fertilizers.
New varieties of seeds mature early, so from the same piece of land instead of one or two crops farmers can get three or four crops in a year.
Blocks cultivation is replaced by modern machineries such as threshes harvesters Tractors and tube wells. This modern machinery is time-saving, so the farmers can grow and harvest crops in a short time period.Microsoft Word – Green Revolution_OUP_13-11-06.doc (akmalhussain.net) L:\wps2234.prn.pdf (worldbank.org)
Advantages of the green revolution
There are the following positive impacts of the Green Revolution.
- The crops that have the ability to resist pests and herbicides are the main best gift of the Green revolution.
- Why modern farming techniques farmers are able to regrow the same crop without danger of fallowing their lands.
- By using modern techniques farmers can grow crops on most types of land. Fertile banks of the river are not necessary to start forming.
- Before the Green Revolution, most worldwide farmers were poor, after the green revolution today’s farmers are richer. The monoculture system of farming has been neglected with modern farming techniques.
- The green revolution has much-improved health and diet.
- The green revolution has increased the productivity of croplands without increasing the acres, it also has made food prices cheaper.
- The green revolution has also protected our environment, due to higher yields few forests are converted into land for agriculture for the production of food.
- Poor harvest always resulted in a poor season. With the use of modern farming techniques, the annual harvest is constant each year.
- Inner lower-income nations’ poverty has been reduced by the Green Revolution, due to Healthy foods that are produced by hybrid crops.
Drawbacks of the Green Revolution
There are some drawbacks of the Green Revolution.
- Intense agriculture has destroyed the fragile agroecosystem
- The green revolution has reduced the natural fertility of the soil
- Water resources are diminishing due to modern farming techniques.
- Soil toxicity and erosion of soil results in such forming techniques.
- Fertilizers are polluting underground water resources.
- The green revolution also causes Global Warming
- The salinity of underground water has been increased
- Over-adopted agricultural techniques have increased livestock and human diseases.
- Soil water and air are gradually polluted by indiscriminate chemical uses.
- Urea is rich in nitrogen, urea is used beyond the recommended level so Global warming results.
- Poisonous Chemicals have reduced the fertility of Agricultural lands by millions of hectares.
- Indiscriminate use of agrochemicals has poisoned the underwater resources, pond water, and the water of rivers.20 Advantages and Disadvantages of the Green Revolution | FutureofWorking.com